Click on a button or the corresponding section of the plan to see the features of that area.
The church building has a wonderful interior, though much of it is covered up in Lent (10 February to 26 March 2016 inclusive); visitors find the altar reredos, lady chapel, pictures and monuments particularly fascinating. It is easy, while admiring the east end, to miss the equally interesting baptistery and organ gallery behind you at the west end.
As you move about the church, please take care. This ancient building contains features such as stone steps, hot candles and incense, and a stone floor that is uneven in places. Please take responsibility for the safety of any children that you bring into the church.
It was the induction of W.R. Corbould as Rector in December 1919 that began the process that has given Carshalton its unique appearance. Fr Corbould's friendship with Sir Ninian Comper  began a long series of remarkable embellishments : a fine aumbry  at the high altar ; the gilding and painting of the high altar triptych , the Lady altar reredos , the rood  and screen  and the construction and decoration of an astonishing organ  tribune at the west end.
Click on a picture thumbnail to open a larger version in a new browser tab.
Dedicated by the family of Hugh Vaughan Piers who was born at Repton in Derbyshire 13th.June 1855 & died at Carshalton 17th.November. A Dñi 1931.
Commending him and the men of this place who gave their lives, for vs in the War 1914–1918 to the infinite mercy of God
There is a brass wall plaque beside it:
in dear remembrance of Charlotte Sophia Peirs the donor of this window, and wife of Hugh Vaughan Peirs. Born 21 June 1861 Died 24 June 1936 who lived at Queen's Well for fifty years and gave devoted service to the parish.
Below the window is a list of men of Carshalton killed in the 1914–1918 war.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD & IN TENDER MEMORY OF A DEARLY LOVED BROTHER JULAND PATRICK DINGWALL 2ND. SON OF CHARLES DINGWALL & KATHERINE HIS WIFE: BORN AT BLOOMFIELD, CATERHAM 27TH. MAY 1896: PASSED AWAY AT SHEPLEY HOUSE, CARSHALTON 17TH. JULY 1910 AND BURIED IN THIS CHURCHYARD: AGE 14.
God set His seal and marked him out for His own.
Half-way along the north wall is a Flemish nativity scene behind the North Aisle altar. The picture was bought by Fr Corbould (Rector 1919–1958) for his own home, but proved to be too large to fit. The altar below it is seldom used, apart from being turned round to represent a stable at Christmas, and is believed to have come from St Andrew's church .
By the north door there is a group of monuments, all of which must have been moved to here when the church was rebuilt in 1891. The top left one commemorates Edward Fellowes who died in 1730 aged 59, which says:
M.S. Edwardi Fellowes, Ar., Obiit 19o die Januarii Anno Dom. 1730 Ætat. 59
To the right is a white memorial with a black surround :to Mary Kennedy, the wife of Sir R H Kennedy
Opposite this tablet beneath the centre aisle lie the remains of Mary the beloved and affectionate Wife of Sir Robert Hugh Kennedy K.C.B After two years of declining health, and seven months' increasing illness, She departed this life on 17th of May, 1837, in the 67th year of her age. Her last hour was spent in prayer and in kind exhortation to those by whom she was attended, Her nearest and most loved relations, to whom her memory will be for ever dear; and it pleased her Almighty Father that she should cease to breathe without pain of body, in the most serene state of mind, and in the hope of His mercy through the merits of our heavenly Redeemer.
In the same vault (whose location is unknown) lie the remains of her parents, John Rourke who died in 1806 aged 82 and Mary Bourke who died in 1816 aged 76.
Above the doorway is a memorialto Thomas Potts who died just before his 48th birthday:
In Memory of Thomas Potts, Esquire, Born the 11th September, 1740, Died the 3rd of September 1788
Below the monuments are two inscriptions carved into the wall: the first recalls the donation of lights (since replaced) in memory of Revd W R Corbould (Rector 1919–1958):
The Chandeliers, provided by public subscription, were installed in 1962 in memory of the Rev. W.R.Corbould Rector 1919 to 1957
Below that is a stone commemorating Douglas Clifton Taylor :
+ In loving memory of + Douglas Clifton Taylor Artists' Rifles. Youngest son of James B. and Octavia Taylor Killed in Action near Cambrai 30th. Dec: 1917 aged 27 years.
See the separate organ page for details of the organ.
The baptistery is at the west end of the building, and contains the font, the inscription on which says IN NOMINE PATRIS ET FILII ET SPIRITVS SANCTVS meaning In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit which is said by the priest during baptism , and is taken from the Bible, Matthew 28:19. There are baptisms here most Sundays.
The font stands on an alabaster octagonal base, inscribed:
To the Glory of God, and in memory of The Rev. William Albemarle Bertie Cator. M.A. who for nearly forty years was Rector of this Parish of Carshalton. Born Oct. 9. 1820 Died Oct.17 1884. The Gift of many who knew and loved him.
Behind the font, on the floor, is a brass plate:
To the Glory of God, and in memory of His servant Susan Catherine Wallace who fell asleep in Christ 17th. Sept. 1909. This Font Cover is offered by some of her friends.
That cover was replaced by the present gilded riddel posts and cupola by Comper , some twenty years later.
The baptistery has three stained glass windows, which seem to depict the orders of angels (see Wikipedia) described by St. Thomas Aquinas in Summa Theologica and still discussed in catholic circles today. The north one, by Comper , is in three sections marked Principates, Raphael Archangel, Angeli. Its dedication reads:
Dedicated in Remembrance of John William Frederick Blake Taylor, Lord of the Manor of Carshalton who died 5th.Aug; 1932.
The middle window  but completed by Tower. Its panels are marked Duariones, Virtutes, Potestes. It is dedicated:was designed by Kempe
To the Glory of God and in remembrance of George William Taylor, Lieut. R.F.A. of Carshalton, who died in the service of his Country Nov. 9th. Of wounds received in France Nov. 2nd. A.D. 1917, this window is dedicated.
The left-hand window  and completed by Tower, has three panels marked Seraphim, Cherubim, Chrom and contains the text Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus, Dũm Deus Sabaoth which means Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts from the Te Deum . It is dedicated:, also designed by by Kempe
Give glory to God for the Ministry of George Bowyer Vaux M.A. Rector of this Parish from March 1902 – December 1919.
The baptistry is enclosed by the organ gallery, erected to the designs of Comper in 1931–2, vaulted in 1933–5, painted in 1935–6, decorated in 1937–8, and embellished with three statuettes in 1941. Here is a picture of the underside of the west end gallery, which is faced with a painted screen inscribed:
Ora pro anima Joseph Frederick Cooper, in memoriam Mary Ann Elliott, in mem. Clement Alfred William Cruttwell sacerdotis, in memoriam William Willis Gale, in memoriam Mary Gale amici, commemorant haec opera facta ese with Roberto Corbould Rectore, in memoriam Cyril et Emma Janet Kelham, Gratias in mem. George Benjamin & Pheobe Anne Brightling, ora pro anima SMD
The lower pipes are marked:
Alleluia Laudate Dominum in choro et organo omnes spiritus laudet Dominum
The pulpit, which is used at most main services, is made of oak. It is Georgian, and present in the earliest photographs; the sounding board and stairs were added by Comper in 1946. It is inscribed PREDICAMVS CHRISTVM IESVM CRVCIFIXVM PREDICAMVS meaning we preach Christ Jesus crucified we preach which is based on 1 Corinthians 1:23 in the Bible.
Opposite the pulpit is a brass eagle lectern, inscribed:
To The Glory of God and in Memory of The Revd. William Albemarle Bertie Cator M.A. who for nearly forty years was Rector of this parish of Carshalton. Born 9th.Octr. 1820. : Died 17th. Octr. 1884
The Gift of Many who knew and Loved him.
The screen is made of oak in the traditional English style. It supports statues of Jesus at his crucifixion, flanked by his mother Mary and St John the disciple. The screen was probably made by Bodley in 1911. A brass floor plaque records:
This screen was given to the Glory of God by Albert Peatling and Muriel Palliser Peatling.
The screen was altered by Comper in 1931–33 (raised and gilded), 1938–1941 (painted), 1947 (surmounted by Christ in Majesty) and 1948 (fronted by semicircular stone steps). A panel on the south east side is inscribed:
Remember before God. Charles Arthur Dingwall Nov. 23rd. 1852 – Lusitania May 7th. 1915 Juland Patrick Dingwall May 27th. 1896 – July 10th. 1910 Dulce Fordyce Dingwall Sept. 6th. 1888 – May 3rd. 1916 In loving memory of her husband and her children this Screen is offered by Kathleen Dingwall. Alleluia. Amen.
A similar panel on the north east side says:
This Screen was raised, enlarged and the balustrade added in A.D. 1932, decorated in 1938, by the generosity of the faithful and so that in the worst times the best things might be done. The figures of the Holy Apostles were given by private donors during the Battle of Britain in 1940. To the Glory of God and the honour of His Saints: W.Robert Corbould: Rector
Near the south of the screen is an inscription carved into the wallsaying that the statues were given in memory of W F E Crutchloe:
A.D.M.G. et in piam memoriam Gulielmi Farrands Edvardi Crutchloe has effigies Christ Crucifixi necnon Mariae Deiparae et Discipuli dilecti poni curaverunt Cognati Amiel MCMX II
High on the east side of the screen is a heavily abbreviated version (resembling the style of the earliest English bibles42) of Thomas Aquinas's verse :
O sacrum convivium!
in quo Christus sumitur:
recolitur memoria passionis eius:
mens impletur gratia:
et futurae gloriae nobis pignus datur.
Which in English means:
O sacred banquet!
in which Christ is received,
the memory of his Passion is renewed,
the mind is filled with grace,
and a pledge of future glory to us is given.
The chancel, looking towards the high altar. Sanctuary lights mark the High Altar, which is used every Sunday at the Low and High Masses . The frontal cloth on the altar shows the colour for the current church season  (green in the photo). The centre panel of the gold reredos is dominated by a statue of Mary carrying the baby Jesus, flanked (unusually) by Isaiah and John the Baptist, inscribed:
Jesu fili Mariae Sanctus laureatum ducit acmen junta mater filio Sanctus Ju panis vitae
The left-hand panel shows stylized images of sponsors and is inscribed:
In memoriam William Pavlin. In mem. George Henry McCausland. Ave gratia plena. In memoriam William Henry Corbould. In piam memoriam William Henry Corbould et Frances Mary uxoris ejus filius eorum rector hujus parochiae dedicavit MCMXXXI
The right-hand panel is similarly inscribed:
ecce ancilla Dni
in memoriam Joan Margaret Cormack
in memoriam Elizabeth Rowe
Above the altar is the east window  at his most florid". A small panel in the lower right-hand corner dedicates it:described as "Kempe
Ad honoram Christi crucifixi et in memoriam Aurelia Cator hanc fenestram Ellen Graves filia eius dedicavit.
It shows Jesus dying for us on the cross, surrounded by saints and angels, with symbols of Word (a Bible) and Sacrament (a chalice) at his feet. Angels catch the blood dripping from his wounds. The panes above them show symbols of Jesus's suffering. The lower left pane shows St Ambrose  with the text "O salutaris hostia" which is from a hymn  by Thomas Aquinas. The lower right pane shows Thomas Aquinas  at a desk with the text "Bone pastor, panis vere, Iesu nostri miserere" which is the beginning of a prayer  of his.
Ego sum flos campi et lilium convallium
(in English I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys) applied by some  to Christ, but here it may exploit the ambiguity found in medieval writers such as Julian of Norwich between Christ and his mother Mary.
Below it are three inscriptions: one , who died on the Somme in 1916 aged 28:to Robert Madder of the Gloucestershire Regiment
+ To the Glory of God and in proud and loving memory of Robert Madden; 2nd. Lieut. Gloucestershire Regt, attd. Machine Gun Corps, who was born 11th.Dec. 1887, & fell in the Battle of the Somme 20th. July 1916, the Lenten Cross was given by his father Mother & two Sisters to be borne before the Choir, of which he was a member. All Saints Day. 1916. R.I.P.
anotherseeking prayers for W C Dawson:
+ Orate pro anima + Wilfridi Caroli Dawson pro patria interfecti Sept. XXV MCMXV.
and a thirddedicating new altar rails (which were controversial at the time):
The Altar rails are dedicated to the Glory of God and in grateful memory of those of the Royal Air Force from this Parish who fell in the second World War 1939 – 1945.
The Outer South Aisle (left) and South Aisle (right) with sunlight pouring through the windows. The arcade has thirteenth century capitals which were moved here from Merton Priory . In the floor are a number of gravestones:
Here lyes interr'd the Body of Mrs Martha Otgher, ye Wife of David Otgher, Gentleman, the daughter of Thomas Carleton, Esq., Also of this parish, she dyed the 18th of March, 1705–6, Aged 75 yeares
Here lyeth the Body of Mrs Jane Hughes, who departed this life the 2nd of October, 1720, in the 50th year of her age
In memory of Mr Stephen Heath who died Feby 2nd 1782 aged 64 years
R.Bacon, Esq., Obit Sep.10, 1816, Ætat Mrs Mary Pontardent, Obit Oct.11th, 1822, Ætat 54 Mrs Bacon, Obit Jan. 27, 1826, In her 57th year. Miss Marianne Pontardent, Obit March 3rd, 1848. Ætat 48 Mrs Ann Bacon, Obit Sep 17, 1855. Ætat 79
In Memory of Isaac Porter, Esq., of this parish, who died May 19th, 1785. Aged 61.
Also Wilhelmina, his wife, died May 27th, 1783, Aged 41.
Also Elizabeth Porter, of Clapham Road, Lambeth, widow of George James, son of the above-named Isaac and Wilhelmina Porter, who departed this life, December 30th, 1846, Aged 78. This stone is laid as a small tribute to the memory of one of the best of mothers.
Near the west end of the south wall there is a small brass plate (photo) commemorating E. Ralph Cooke :
To the Glory of God and memory of my beloved husband E. Ralph Cooke Private Hon.Artillery Company Killed in Action on 31st. March 1917 At Ecoust in France. "Faithful unto Death."
A little further east is a monumentto the Revd Thomas Bradley and Elizabeth his wife:
Near the West dore, In the Churchyard, Lye the Bodys of The Reverend Thomas Bradley (many years Vicar of this parish, and Rector of Walton), And of Elizabeth, his wife, whom God, during time, blessed with A num'rous Issue. In 1689, With his Wife's cheerful concurrence, He quitted his Livings to preserve His Conscience, Practising as He taught, and committing himself And Family to God's good Providence, Who never fails them who Trust in Him. In Pious Memory whereof, and of Their Vertuous Parents, this Monument is erected by God's And their grateful Children.
Adjacent floor slabs comemorate Mrs Joan Hugheswho died in 1720 aged 50, Martha Otgher the wife of David Otgher and daughter of Thomas Carleton, who died in 1708 aged 75 , and Isaac Porter who died in 1785 aged 61, Willhelmina his wife who died in 1783 aged 41, and Elizabeth Porter (widow of George James Porter son of Isaac and Willhelmina) who died in 1846 aged 76 .
To the right of the arch into the tower is one of the monuments to the Beynon family; the inscription (photo) indicates that this one is to Edward Beynon , and to Martha Beynon:
Sacred to the Memory of Edward Beynon, Esq., of this parish, who departed this life 27th November, 1800, Aged 78. And of Mr Stephen Heath, also of this parish, who departed this life 27th November 178. Aged 64. Also of Martha Beynon, of this parish, Relict of the above-named Edward Beynon, Esq., and sister and sole heiress of the above-named Mr Stephen Heath, who departed this life on the 28th day of June, 1803, Aged 83
Another Mr Heath, possibly their father, is commemorated in a nearby South Aisle floor slab.
Over the arch into the tower is another Beynon family monument, surmounted by a regimental badge:
To the memory of Captain Richard William Barnardiston Crowther Beynon who died at sea off Aden on the 7th. March 1878 in the 42nd. year of his age. This tablet is erected by his brother officers, of the 2nd. Battalion The Royal Scots as a token of their esteem and regard.
The tower contains the peal of Bells  which is why there is a bell rope in this picture, as well as monuments including this one to Robert Houstoun, his wife Isabella and their son, another Robert:
M.S. Robert Houstoun, hujus loci Arm, Cujus Reliquiæ infra conditæ Sexto die Februar, 1828, Ætatis suæ 78, in spe resurrectionis beatæ. Et Isabellae uxoris ejus Quae ex hac vita decessit Vicesimo quinto die Novembris, a.d. 1828, et sexagesimo ætatis Justorem resurrectionem anticipans Roberti Rae Houstoun filii atque rectoris Eccles Astwick cum Arsley in Com. Bedford, Cujus reliquiæ infra sepultæ Natus est die Junii 23o, a.d. 1786 ; Obiit die Augusti 22o, a.d. 1829. Expectans misericordiam Domini nostri Jesu Christi in vitam æternam Jude v.21
Overhead is a hatch in the ceiling through which the refurbished bells were hoisted in 1979. The old font below is believed to have come from St Andrew's church  and is now used as a Holy Water stoup.
One of the monuments to the Beynon family; this one refers to Edmund and Martha Beynon:
Sacred to the Memory of the Rev. Edmund Turner Beynon, A.M., of this parish, and of Slines Oaks, Chelsham, Who departed this life November 15th, a.d. 1842, in the sixty-sixth year of his age. endowed with an active and intelligent mind, he employed it in the cause of Christian usefullness and benevolence, and rested from his work and labour of love in steadfast reliance on the mercy of his divine master, the Lord Jesus Christ. also of Mrs. Martha Beynon of this place, relict of the above, and only daughter of the late Edward Beynon, Esq. She departed this life Feb. 20th, 1847, in the 81st year of her age.
Another Beynon family monument is nearby:
Sacred to the memory of Edmund B. Beynon, Esq., of this Parish, and of Chelsham, in the same county, Who departed this life on December 20th, 1861, in the 56th year of his age. This tablet is erected in remembrance of a kind brother, an indulgent master, a liberal landlord, an active magistrate, and a faithful friend to the poor. He that hath pity upon the poor, lendeth unto the Lord.
also of Rev. Edward Francis Beynon of Slines Oaks, in this County who died March 10th. 1874 Aged 65 years
Nearby is a metal plate:
In memory of Fred Ellis Carshalton's blacksmith and true rotarian who gave service before self. Died suddenly October 1978.
The monument to Susanna Shepley (sister of Michael who is commemorated in the Lady Chapel), provided by the surviving sister.
Sacred to the Memory of Susanna Shepley, sister of Michael Shepley, Esq, Who departed this life Feb. 19th, 1840. In the respective duties of daughter, sister, and friend, she was exemplary. This monument is erected by her only and affectionately attached sister. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Nearby is a monument to John Braddyll. It shows his family Arms : 1 and 4, as cross saltier, in diamonds over it a bend ermine; 2, on a chevron a quaterfoil or; 3, azure, a crescent; or, under two stars of same:
Near this place lye the remains of John Braddyll, Esq., Descended from an Ancient Family, Long seated at Portfield and Cornishead, in Lancashre, who from his youth Traversed the Oceans of Europe and the Indies As a Merchant, and having Acquired a handsome Fortune, The due Reward of Honest Industry, And learned therewith to be content, He retired to this Village, and enjoyed the fruits of his Labour, With Temperance And Moderation. Born at Cornishead, 1695, Died at Carshalton, 13th May, 1753
A brass plate in the floorsays:
In Loving Memory of Sophia Hampton who served in this church for seventeen years with faithfulness and devotion. Died Jan. 1st. 1900 R.I.P.
Another brass floor plaque commemorates Charles Bone, the Beadle  . It is said that he was appointed principally to make the pubs close during church service times; he certainly looks fearsome in this photo!
In Pious Memory of Charles Bone many years Beadle of this church who fell asleep 31st. Dec.1902 aged 84 R.I.P.
The Lady Chapel, looking towards the altar. This chapel is used for the weekday masses and for small weddings. The sanctuary light here is white, not red as at the high altar, to show that reserved communion elements are kept here. The carved front of the altar (photo) has five panels, featuring crossed keys; three fishes; a lamb carrying a crusader banner beside the words Agnus Dei; a communion chalice and host; and an IHS monogram.
The reredos is eighteenth century, decorated by Comper in 1936 to illustrate the Messianic hope. A panel at the lower south corner of the reredoscommemorates Victor Alexander Seymour, Rector 1884–1901:
HAEC CAPELLA ORNATA EST A SALVTIS NOSTRAE MCMXXXVI IN MEMORIA VENERATÃ ET DILECTÃ VICTOR ALEXANDER SEYMOUR RECTORIS HVIVSCE PAROCHIAE MDCCC LXXXIV – MCMI.
ORATE PRO ANIMA EIVS
All of the Lady Chapel stained glass is by Kempe . The east window shows Jesus ascended to the glory of heaven, worshipped by angels. The window commemorates Edward Jenner, churchwarden in 1910, but the inscription is not visible.
Lady Chapel west wall
To the right (north) of the arch there are three monuments. The top one is inscribed:
Sacred to the memory of William Matthews, Esq., who died October 19th 1849. Aged 73 years. Ps. 30, v.9 and 65, v.2. This tablet is erected by his affectionate widow and daughter. Also of Caroline, relict of the above, who died at Buxton, June 10th, 1858.
The middle monument is inscribed:
Sacred to the Memory of Mary, the wife of Robert Burra, Esq., who died September 2nd, 1839. Aged 78 Also of Elizabeth, their daughter, Who died February 5th, 1843, Aged 43 And also of the above-named Robert Burra, of Maulds, Meaburn, in the County of Westmorland, for many years a Merchant of London, and resident in this parish, who died January 28th, 1846. Aged 79
The lowest monumentsays:
Sacred to the memory of James Burra, of Bread Street, in the City of London, Solicitor, second son of the above Robert and Mary Burra. Died 8th February, 1851. Aged 53 years.
On the left (south) side are monuments to Thomas Plummer MP  and his family:
Sacred to the Memory of Thomas Plummer, Esq., late of London, Merchant, and of Camberwell in this county. Obit 4th April, 1818. Ætat 69 years.
And I heard a voice... Rev. Chap.14th Verse 13th
To the Memory of Ellen, Born March 14th, 1811.
And now Lord what is my hope, truly my hope is even in Thee. Psalm 39 v.8.
Trust ye in the Lord... Isaiah 26 v.4.
Eleanor Ann Plummer, Grand-daughter of the above-named Thomas Plummer, died 2nd December, 1829, aged 18.
Emily Warren Plummer, died May 19th, 1835, aged 19
Sacred also to the Memory of John Plummer, Esq., son of the above Thomas Plummer, Esq., died 1st October, 1839, aged 59
Lady Chapel north wall
High on the north wall is a row of four monuments. The left hand oneto Dixeus Longe, formerly of Lincoln's Inn, who died on 29 August 1664 aged 54:
Deo opt Maxim
infra in Dno requiescit Dixeus Longe, per multos Annos de hospitio Lincolniensi, in Com. Middx., Armiger et nuper inhabitans hujus Parochiæ, tertius filius Georgii Longe, Nuper de Clerkenwell, in dicto Com. Middx., Armig. Fidelitate diligentia et prudentia probatus Vir religionis cultu, morumque comitate affectuum temperantia imprimis spectatus
Erga bene meritos beneficientia pauperes, Charitate omnes equitate Clarus
Anno Etatis suæ 54 Postquam se vitae meliori multa diligentia et patientia preparasset placide, Deo animam reddiit 29 die Augusti An. Regis Caroli 2di Regis Angliae xvi Annoque Dom 1664
Theodosia Uxor ejus in ejus memoriam hoc Monumentum erexit eodem Anno
Below it is a monumentto Elizabeth Rose, nine children including her daughter Elizabeth Fearon, and her husband Revd William Rose, Rector 1777–1829:
Here lie the remains of Elizabeth Dorothy Rose, daughter of Joseph Foster Barham, Esq., of Hardwicke Hall, Shropshire, and wife of William Rose, rector of this parish. She was born in the year 1755, and died in her 69th year; as a daughter, wife and friend to all, it were not easy for those who knew her the speak as they feel. Here also lie the remains of her eldest daughter, Elizabeth Dorothy Fearon, who was born in 1777, and died in 1803. She resembled her mother in every virtue, but to such virtues they trusted not, but died in joyful reliance in the merits of their Saviour, Jesus Christ. Eight other children of E.D. Rose lie here, who were called away young by Him who said, "Suffer little children to come to me."
To these remains were added on the 10th April, 1829, those of The Rev. William Rose, for fifty-two years rector of this parish, and of Beckenham, in Kent. What he was here is already engraven on the hearts of all his parishioners; what he is now may be read in the promises of God through His Son our Redeemer, to all who love and obey Him. By his affectionate family this monument is placed.
Near this stone is deposited the body of George Taylor, Esq., LLD., of Carshalton Park, and of the Island of St.Christopher, in the West Indies; his time during a long and uninterrupted residence on his estate in this parish, was divided between his favourite study of the classics and the exercise of hospitality, friendliness, and charity. By an uniform display of such qualities, he gained and secured to the day of his death the cordial esteem and regard of his equals, the respect and attachment of his tenants, the love and fidelity of his numerous old domestics, and the grateful blessings of the poor; he died with that tranquil and entire resignation to the divine will which sincere faith and habitual piety can alone inspire, June 30th, 1814, in the 79th year of his age.
Below it is an inscriptionto John and Eleanor Taylor:
Sacred also to the Memory of John Taylor, Esq., brother of the above, who lived honoured and died lamented on the 9th July, 1832, in the 83rd year of his age. also in Memory of Eleanor Taylor, relict of John Taylor, Esq, who died on the 16th Oct., 1832, aged 85.
There is another memorial below thatto Lieut. George William Taylor:
In Ever Loving Memory of George William Taylor, of Carshalton Barrister at Law, B.A., Cambridge. Lieutenant R.F.A. Born at Carshalton Park September 29th.1892, Died in France Nov.9th.1917, of wounds received in Action, Nov. 2nd. 1917 Educated at Eton & Cambridge, he chose the Bar as his Profession but directly War was declared in 1914, he at once applied for & obtained his Commission in the Royal Field Artillery having previously served in The Cambridge Artillery. He loved & thought & fought enthusiastically, and all that he did was done well, almost with inspiration. To the small, as to the great events of his life he brought all the enthusiasm & vitality of his nature.The officer commanding his Battery wrote of him "He was in my opinion the best Subaltern and leader of men I have ever had the luck to have in my Battery, or to meet elsewhere." Thus ended the life of a gallant gentleman, who made the supreme sacrifice for his country, as he was always prepared to do. He was buried in Dozinghem British Cemetery, Westvleteren. N.W. of Poperinge, Belgium. To all his relations & his multitude of friends his loss is irreparable.
The third high-level monument tower (q.v.).is to Michael Shepley who died in 1837, provided by his sisters, one of whom is commemorated in the
Sacred to the memory of Michael Shepley, Esq., formerly and inhabitant of this parish, who departed this life March 21st, 1837, in Devonshire Place, Cavendish Square : the benevolence of his character, and the many virtues he possessed, endeared him to all; but to none more than his affectionate sisters, by whom this monument is erected.
My Sheep hear my voice, &c. – x John 27, 28 v.
Here Lies ye Body of Dorothy, Wife of George Burrish, who was ye Son of Edward Burrish, a Citizen of London (all of this Parish). She was ye daughter of Joseph Jackson, of Broomfield, in ye parish of Edmonton, Citizen and Turkey Merchant of London. Her mother was a Hubart, of that Family now in Norfolk. She departed this life ye 19th October, 1685, in ye 73 year of her age.
Below the Burrish memorial is a table tomb, believed to have been moved in the 19th Century, commemorating Nicholas Gaynesford and his wife Margaret, both of whom died in 1400. The back shows a man in Yorkist early Tudor armour ; four sons behind him dressed respectively as a squire, a priest, and two merchants; then a woman; and four daughters . Its inscription is in English, which seems unusual for 1400:
Pray for the soulys of Nicholas Gaynesford sometime Esqyr for the most noble Princes Edward the 4th and Henry 7th and Margaret his wyfe. Also one of the gentilwymmen of the most noble p'ncesses Elizabeth and Elizabeth wfyes of the foresaid most noble p'nces kynges, the whych Nocholas dicessid the - day of - in the yere of oure Lord MCCC and the foresaid Margaret dsceddis the - day of - in the yere of oure Lord God a thousand CCC on whoes sowles J- hu have mercy. Amen.
Above the figures are three heraldic shields, and the tomb's sides feature four more
explained by Malden in 1912 .
Immediately to the left is a wall plaque Arms of Gaynesford ... to Joan daughter of Reginald Moresby and wife of John, eldest son of Nicholas Gaynesford, died 17 July 1492" who fought in the Civil War . Further to the left, in a glazed frame , is a replica of a fragment of a tomb from 1493 showing Walter Gaynesford, Chaplain, in mass vestments .with inscription "
The iron grille with gate between the chancel and the Lady chapel was designed by Comper in 1931–1933 "in memoriam A.V.Peatling".
Lady Chapel south wall
Opposite the table tomb is a memorial to Elizabeth Byne, who died in 1687 in childbirth, bearing James Byne who apparently survived. Her parents Henry and Alice Herringman  are commemorated on the next memorial to the right.
Near this place Lies buried the body of Elizabeth Byne, ye wife of Henry Byne ye Younger, of this Parish, Gent. She died in childe-bed, of James Byne, ye 13th day of January, Anno Domini 1687, in ye 19th year of her age. She was the daughter of Henry and Alice Herringman of this Parish, who in remembrance of their Child erected this Monument.
Below it is a table with a marble top behind which is the Norman style piscina  which is used at the weekday masses.
Between the windows are three monuments, behind which the outline of the earlier lancet windows  can be seen. The monument on the left is to Mr and Mrs Herringman, and shows their Arms : azure, three herrings argent, between 7 cross crosslets or, empaling argent, engrailed azure.
Near this place In full assurance of a Joyful resurrection rest the Bodies of Henry Herringman, Citizen and Stationer of London, and Alice, his wife, who by the blessing of God upon their mutual care and and industry, acquired a competent estate in ye space of 20 yeares, And then came And settled in this parish, where they lived handsomely and hospitably above 30 yeare's, Doing good to their Relations, To ye Parish, To their neighbours, To all yt knew them. They were married September 29th, 1650, and lived 53 yeares and upwards very happily and comfortably together, and Dyed within six weeks and two days of one another. Hee dyed January ye 15th, She February ye 28th, 1708, in the 76th yeare of their age.
The middle oneis to William Quelche:
Under ye middle stone that guardes ye ashes of a certain Fryer some times Vicar of this place is raked up ye doste of W Quelch B.D who ministered in ye same place since ye reformacion. His lott was through God's mercy to bvrne Incence here about 30 yr., and ended his covrse April 10 Ano Din 1654 being aged 64 yrs.
Quos bifrons templo divisit cultus in uno Pacificus tumulus jam facit essepares. Flix illa dies quaecullus cemina solvit Qua placida fidei megia condit humo. Hic svmus ambo pares donec cineremque fidemque. Discutiat reddens Christus vtrique suvm.
Those whome a two faced service here made twaine at length a friendly grave makes one agayne. Happy that day that hides our sinfoll iarrs that shvts vp all our shame in Earthen barrs. Here let us sleepe as one till Christ ye jvsteshall sever both our service faith and dvste.
The memoral to the right of thatis to the Brace family:
Near this place is interred the Body of Arabella Brace, wife of James Brace, Esq. A Lady who was endowed with many Excellent Virtues. Piety towards God, Love to her Husband, Charity to the Poor, Good will to all. Possessing these amiable Dispositions, She lived greatly esteemed, And died Justly Lamented On the 8th day of November, 1744, Aged 60. Her Mournfull and truly Affectionate Surviving Husband erected and dedicated this Monument to her Memory.
Also the Body of the Above said James Brace, Esq., (who was Upwards of Forty years Secretary to the Irish Society in London,) who Departed this Life May the 27th, 1749, in the 75th year of His Age.
The eastern window stained glass is by Kempe and shows the angel Gabriel saying to Mary "Ave Maria grã plã" (Hail Mary, highly favoured from the Bible, Luke 1:28) to which Mary replies "Ecce ancilla Dõi fiat mihi secundũ verbũ tuũ" (Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word from the Bible, Luke 1:38). The same figures and quotations dominate the two main panels of the lady altar reredos. It is inscribed:
To the Glory of the Incarnate God, in honour of Our Lady, and in memory of Mary daughter of Victor Alexander Seymour, and Elizabeth Margaret his wife, who died on the Feast of Saint Mark 1899 age 5 years, this window is dedicated.
Below the west window is a brass platededicating the window:
To the Glory of God and in grateful Remembrance of the Work and Ministration of Victor Alexander Seymour for 16 years Rector of this Parish (A.D. 1884 – 1901) The above window is placed by Worshippers and Parishioners. During these years this Parish Church of All Saints was in chief measure restored, and enlarged and the Mission Churches of St. Andrew and the Good Shepherd built.
The upper parts of the two south windows echo the Wars of the Roses , in that the south-east window features white roses while the south-west window has red ones. White roses are also visible on the east window , and red ones in the tympanum above the gate into the chancel. Thus red roses are found in the west and white ones in the east, corresponding to the counties of Lancashire and Yorkshire. The Gaynesford family tomb is at the east end, and in the Wars of the Roses they were Yorkists. The bosses of the upper wooden panels flanking the high altar show the two types of rose alternately.
Between the south windows there are marks on the wall showing the location of the lancet windows that they replaced.
In the Lady Chapel floor, hidden by the carpet, are several grave-stones:
Black marble gravestone within the altar rails
Inter Monumenta Mortis, hic tumulatur Carolus Burtonus, Armiger, Ultimus Hæres Masculus de Stirpe perquam antiqua oriundus (scitt Burtonum, Casholtomensium, in Com. Surr.) Obiit Mense Februarii, Ano.Dom. 1661. Ætatis 78. Tertius fuit filius natos minimus Ric Burton, Armig. defuncti qui duos alios habuit seniores natu, viz.. : - Henricum Balnei Militem et Bernadum, Armigerum, in hac Cancella reconditos
Black gravestone within the altar rails
Arabella Brace Obt 8vo Novbrii 1744
Gravestone outside the communion rails
In Memory of Sarah, wife of Augustine Greenland, of Lymme, in the county of Kent,Esq., She was the daughter of John Hooker, of Tunbridge, Esq., and died 16th February, 1795, aged 61. Her issue by the said Augustine, was four daughters, viz.., Sarah, (who married Colonel Thomas Burrowes, and died, leaving issue, one son named Arnold,) Harriot, Emma Jane, and Jane Pratt, of whom Emma Jane is the only survivor, Harriot and Jane Pratt dying infants.
Emma Jane Hooker, Died September 9th, 1839, aged 77.
A brass plate, formerly on the floor of the old north aisle, showing a woman in prayer.
O blyssyd Lady of Pittie, p'y fot me, yt my soule savyd may be.
Pray for the soule of Johan Burton, the wif of Henry Burton, Esquyer, and daughter to John Ellynbridge, ye which Johan decessed the xxxiiij day of Decemb., ye yer of our Lord mdcxxiiij, on whose soul Jhu have mercy. Amen.
Gravestone, formerly near Dixeous Long's monument
John Braddyll, Esq., died May 13th, 1753, aged 58.
Here lieth the body of Christopher Muschamps, Esq., who dyed the 1st day of October, in the yeare of our Lord God 1660, aged 61 yeares.
Iron grille between south aisle and Lady Chapel
The grille dates from the XVIIIc, and was in front of the Scawen monument in the outer south aisle until 1958 when it was moved and altered.
The monument to John Fellowes, Baronet , who died in 1724 aged 54, was moved here from the east end of the north aisle in around 1891 during reconstruction of the building. It is just visible in its original position in the left-hand side of an 1826 water-colour painting. The window behind it was not blocked up until 1914. It reads:
Memoriæ Sacrum D. Johannis Fellowes, Baronettii, Obiit xxio die Julii, Anno Salutis mdccxxiv., Ætatis livo.
The urn to the right commemorates George Amyand, Baronet , and his wife, who died a year later:
To the Memory of Sir George Amyand, Bart., Who dyed August 16th, 1766, aged 46, And of Dame Anna Maria, his wife, who dyed June 30th, 1767, aged 42. To imitate their Virtues and lament their Death, they left two Sons and two Daughters, George, John, Maria and Harriet.
Above the urn is a blocked internal doorwaybetween the outer south aisle and south aisle, which is near the ceiling, so it probably once gave access to a gallery.
Moving along the south wall from west to east we find a monumentto Robert Teagge:
Here lies ye Body of Robert Teagge, Whose Life is at an End. He was the best of Husbands and the truest Friend. He Resteth here; as I do hope to be Happy with him to all Eternity. He Departed this life the 20th of February, 17 11–12, in the 55th year Of his Age. Born in this parish.
Then we find this picture by Comper given by Robert Corbould (Rector) in thanksgiving for his nephews' safe return from the Second World War:
A.D. MCMXXXIX – XLV.
deo optimo maximo mariaeqve dominae nostrae dilectae.
pro amicis et pro fratribvs qvatvor sibi carissimis e pericvlis belli tvto regressis gratias agit eorvm patrws
gvlielmvs robertvs corbovld hvivs parochiae rector.
Sacred to the Memory of Elizabeth Devereux Kennedy, Who died on the 14th of June 1852, In the 80th year of her age.
With Christ, which is far better.
The there is a stained black memorial, with arms party gules and azure, a chevron engrailed, murrey for a difference in each field, two lions argent. it is inscribed:
Subtus in hoc Mausoleo repositum Est corpus Edmondi Hoskins, Equitis Aurati, et Seruientis ad Legem, Thomas Hoskins, de Oxted Comitatu, Surry Militis, filii secundi cui Elizabetha (filia primogenita Job Harbey, de Aldenham, in Agro Hartfordiensi, Militis et Baronetti) peperit prolem decimam tertiam. Qui Dominator in Foro Domi Jupiter, Hospitalis, eleganter excipiens omnes, imprimis eruditos Magno vixit Exemplo; et Fama dignus non periisse; abreptus tamen xv Jan An Dom. mdclxiv Ætatis Suæ lviii
At the east end of the outer south aisle is a monument to Sir William Scawen MP , joint founder and second Governor  of the Bank of England  1697–99, who died in 1722 aged 75. The reclining figure is said to be an idealised likeness, rather than a true one. The inscription commemorates his wife Mary who died in 1733 aged 33 . On the top is an urn and a child wiping his eye, and holding a shield. Arms : argent, a chevron gules, between three griffin's heads, sable, empaling argent, a chevron azure between three hands displayed, couped at the wrist gules. Over him is the motto: Respiciendo et prospiciendo and under him,
Here lies the Body of Dame Mary Scawen, late wife of Sir William Scawen, of this parish, Knight, and eldest daughter of Sir William Maynard, of Walthamstowe, in the county of Essex, Bart. She died August 30th, 1700, in the 33rd year of her age. And her Sorrowful Husband erected this Monument in remembrance of so dutiful a wife, and so good a woman. Virescit funere virtus.
Under this is a figure of her husband, in his whole length recumbent, having on a full wig, and holding a skull in his right hand.
Here lieth the body of Sir William Scawen, of this parish, Knight, seventh son of Robert Scawen, Esq, late of Horton, in the County of Bucks, grandson to Robert of Mollenick, in Cornwall, Esq. He was Governor of the Bank of England in 1695, and served this county three times in Parliament as a faithful subject, and zealous for the laws and liberties of his country; Obyt. xvii Octobris, a.d. 1722, Ætat 75.
this monument was repaired by Jas. Francis of Clapham in 1811.
Sacred to the Memory of Harriet, The beloved wife of James Arthur Murray, Captain in the Royal Navy, who departed this life July the 29th, 1829, Aged 32 years.
To the left of the Scawen monument, broken plasterreveals red coloured traces of medieval wall-painting.