Logo

All Saints Carshalton

The C of E parish church of central Carshalton, Surrey, England
Interior Site map
Menu
Hide menu
Ninian Comper

Organ

↓A B/W Colour ↑A
Twitter @CarshaltonAllSFacebook link

Click on a picture thumbnail below to open a larger version in a new browser tab.

The organ has recently been rebuilt by Willis's, and a few final details are being attended to. The pictures on this page show the work.

A specification for the organ can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register; enter into the address search box "carshalton saints".

See the latest news page for details of the final alterations that we would like to make to the organ and the fund-raising to make them happen.

The New Console

ConsoleThis is the new organ console, which stands on the floor of the nave, rather than in the gallery with the pipes. This console can be moved on wheels, though not while it is being played.

Console controlsAnother view of the new organ console. The use of rocker switches above the manuals to control the couplers simplifies the layout. The white buttons ("stops") to the right and left of the manuals are used to switch on or off the rows of pipes. Each row makes a different sound.

Console being played by the MIDI inputThe organ console is equipped with a MIDI input, which plays notes as if the keys were being pressed, but does not select stops. Channel 1 is assigned to the highest manual, the Swell, channel 2 to the Great, channel 3 to the Choir, and channel 4 to the pedals.

The console carries a label saying:

1895
Henry Willis & Sons Ltd
1932

and Willis's staff explained that the organ was installed in the gallery beside the chancel in 1895, and moved to its present position in the west end gallery in 1932. The organ is still tuned to A=437Hz, as it was in 1895, so it cannot be used with the piano, which is tuned to A=440Hz.

PipesMany of the refurbished organ pipes are in the organ case that is visible from ground level. Some are round and made of metal, others are square and made of wood; this gives each row a distinctive sound.

Pipes showing varietyThe pipes also vary in shape, adding to the variety of sounds that the organ can produce.

Outside pipesMany of the pipes are now outside the organ case, because it was made too small for them.

Pipes where console wasSome pipes are near the where the old organ console was, and these are carefully arranged to suit the architecture.

Air ductsThere are beautifully made ducts snaking all over the organ gallery, conducting air to the various groups of pipes.

Pipes showing more varietyThe rows of pipes, each of which has a unique sound, are turned on and off by means of a slide that runs below each row of pipes; these are electrically operated by means of solenoids, which are the the black cylindrical devices on the left. Each one is controlled by the organist by pulling or pushing a stop.

The electronic cards on the left of the preceding picture decode the electrical commands from the console and control the individual pipes and stop slides. The white cable below them is the only connection between the console and the organ. A radio connection will soon be installed, so that the console can be played from anywhere, provided it can be plugged into the mains.

For all enquiries please email the Associate Rector. © All Saints PCC 2013–2017